When you own a home in Wisconsin, you are always at risk of experiencing a fire. However, you can take certain steps to reduce your risk of a fire and protect your home from damage. Below are some of the most common causes of house fires, along with tips you can use to avoid them.
Many house fires occur because of problems with the wiring in your home and/or misuse of electricity. To prevent fires related to electrical issues, make sure that all of your wiring is installed properly. If you live in an older home, consider asking a professional to inspect the house’s wiring. Make sure that you have AFCI and GFI outlets installed as appropriate, and avoid overloading any single outlet with too many cords.
Many homeowners light candles for aesthetic reasons, during power outages or to add a scent to the home. However, when candles are left unattended, they can fall over and/or ignite flammable materials. When using candles in your home, make sure you place them far out of the reach of children and pets. Don’t burn candles overnight or when you aren’t around to supervise.
Indoor and Outdoor Cooking Incidents
Whether you are cooking inside your home or grilling outside in the summertime, cooking always poses a risk of fire. For example, both inside and outside of your home, grease fires can ignite and burn out of control quickly. To prevent fires related to cooking, always keep all flammable liquids and materials far away from sources of flame. When cooking outside, always keep a safe distance between your grill and your home and if you are using a turkey fryer, do not use in your garage or under a deck. You should also keep your grill, stove and other cooking surfaces clean and free from grease at all times.
Most homeowners have flammable liquids stored somewhere in their home. If these liquids aren’t stored and handled properly, fires can occur. Lower the risk of fire by storing your flammable liquids away from any source of flame. Avoid making piles of fabrics soaked in flammable liquids to prevent spontaneous combustion.
Clogged Dryer Vents
Over time, dryer vents can become clogged with lint. When this lint comes into contact with high levels of heat, it may catch on fire. To prevent fires because of clogged dryer vents, keep your vent clean at all times.
Portable heaters are a useful source of extra heat during the cold Wisconsin winter. However, they can also be hazardous if you don’t take the proper precautions. Protect your home from fires by keeping your portable heater in locations where it is unlikely to tip over. Never operate your portable heater unattended, and maintain an appropriate clearance around the device at all times.
House fires can cause extensive damage in a matter of minutes. By taking steps to prevent the most common causes of house fires, you can lower your risk significantly. However, completely eliminating the risk of a fire isn’t possible. For this reason, you need to invest in an adequate home insurance policy. Please contact Van De Hey Insurance today to learn more.